Does the erecting of ropes across a road constitute an offense,

Does the erecting of ropes across a road constitute an offense, if so, which traffic law does this offend?
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The question relates to an incident that occurred to me recently when I was out for a cycle ride and rode around a corner to find ropes had been erected across the road, unfortunately I rode into them sustaining an injury. There was no-one in attendance of the obstruction and only a few minutes later did a Herdsman appear, he had placed the ropes to enable him to herd some cows across the road from one field to another.
This is a public road maintained by the council?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it is, a country lane between two villages in North Dorset, Yetminster and Leigh.
Then that is causing an obstruction.
It is a thing over the road even if it is not actually upon it. There is no way around it.
You will find the offence here
Also S28 Town Police Clauses Act 1847 makes it an offence to obstruct the street to the distraction, annoyance or danger of residents or passengers.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thankyou that has clarified the information that I need. No further questions now.
No problem.
All the best.