If i have been left money in a will but have been claiming

if i have been left money in a will but have been claiming benefits (correctly i might add) are the dwp likely to know?
How much have you been left?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what do you think?
Which benefits do you receive?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
pension credit
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
and hosing benefit
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pension credit is a means tested benefit and so you are the QC to declare any large sum of money in excess of £6000.
Whether or not the DWP is likely to find out the duty is still yours to inform them. If you do not and they do find out then you probably would be prosecuted the benefit fraud.
Also, if that were to happen, they would reclaim the overpayments so nothing is gained.
Sorry if that is bad news but I can only give you truthful information.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i do understand that bit, and i knwo you can't encorage me to do something I shouldn't and wouldn't expect that which is why i was wanting to know whether they are likely to know i.e. is there is something in the system that flags it up so they are bound to know
Yes, they could find out. We don't really know all of their reporting sources. It is only really automatic if the money comes from another government departments but this could be discovered. There are lots of anonymous reporting sources and it is easy for them to do a search of accounts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
if a £8000 pension lump sum (i.e. cashing in a very old small pension that acumulated this amount over a long period of time) was taken would this be automatically be reported/flagged to the dwp because it was a pension amount?
yes, that probably would be automated because of the source.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thats quite helpful and fits in with what has happened i did get the 8k (from abbey life) and put it in an old account ,the bank immediately took it to satisfy an old credit card debt as they had taken over the credit card company (barclays/egg) so i never had the money (so to speak). the other amount (43k) i have had for some while 9 months but have never spent as its all i have (forever as far as i can see)...however i did get called in by the dwp over the 8k (they had a letter from abbey life) and supplied them with details, that was five weeks ago but i haven't heard anymore. I would in fact like to just sign off while i have the other money in the hope that everything goes away. I don't know when is the best time to sign off as i don't know if i am still being investigated and i don't want to draw attention to myself...any hints on how to handle things?
Well, you can only declare this income.
There are no other options. It is something they are entiled to know about.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes i will do because i will have to give a reason for signing off....but when is strategically the best time?
You should really have done it when you received the money but it is too late now. At least this stage, all you can really do is do it as soon as possible and just apologise for not having done it sooner. They may well accept that you needed to take advice.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
fair enough your experience would i normally be written to once an investigation is finished?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
re the 8k, they told me that as the money had not been spent and had only been in the account for a few days before being taken that i may or may not have a small prorata deduction a decsion that would have to be made
The £8k is not the end of the world. That would have made only a minor difference.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes but the point i am really asking you is in your experience are they likely you write and tell me they have finished with that matter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
......... 'they likely you write'....... = 'they likely to write'
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the 8k they called me in about, are they likely to write to me and tell me that they have finished with the matter (one/way or the other)?
Not usually. Sometimes they will tell people the outcome but quite often it just gradually disappears.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
oh ok, thanks for your help and advice..have a good christmas
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile