How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71051
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hope you could point me towards the right path to finding

Customer Question

hi. hope you could point me towards the right path to finding my answer. the housing association i rent is asking for notice of the dates i might be away that exceeds 4 weeks. I don't understand if my rent is paid why this is of any concern to them and also if i go travelling and not sure of travelling dates how can i give them information i don't have. when i phone them up all i get is i have to write to the housing officer with the dates i plan on travelling. its in a contract but i don't see what grounds they have to penalise me for not informing them of my holidays. under 4 weeks or not.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Are you asking if their position is unlawful?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank for responding so quickly. ok . they have a right to know where i am and for how long, so i guess i am asking if its unlawful and if i broke this rule could they get a eviction notice on me even thow my rent is paid
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
They do have a right to know if you are away from longer than their minimum period.
This is because this is social housing and, even though, you are renting it there is a waiting list and social housing is only available to those are who are living at the address. If you are away for more than four weeks then they will deem it to be unoccupied and could be used for another.
It would be different if you were renting from a private landlord or indeed subject to a mortgage. Then social considerations like the waiting list would not apply.
Sorry if that is bad news.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks. that explains why they need to know. now if I'm away on a backpacking holiday so my flat is still got furniture and cloths with bills going to the address could they class is as unoccupied. also say if i was to live in the flat 1month out of every 4 could this also result in me losing my flat?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
I don't think they could argue abandonment because your goods are there.
But because this is social housing they could argue that you are not living there and so it should be available for others.
If you mean one month in every four months then that would result in eviction.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok you've been helpful thank. I'm sure thats all i need to know for now. thanks.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
No problem and all the best. Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile