How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71130
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

A courier reversed into my car on my drive. He'd been delivering

This answer was rated:

A courier reversed into my car on my drive. He'd been delivering a parcel for ***** ***** Stores. He drove off without stopping to discuss th incident. ***** ***** say its nothing to do with them. Hermes (courier) have ignored every attempt to contact them. The car has sustained over £1000 worth of damage. What can I do?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Have you reported it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes the Police have a record of the incident but won't pursue the matter unless I can get the name and registration of the van and driver which I don't have and cannot get.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Shall I stay online or will you be sending me an email?
There is no need to stay online. You will get an email when I respond.
I meant to your insurance company though?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I havn't notified the insurance company as yet as I was hoping to avoid having to make a claim...
That is probably not likely to be realistic I'm afraid.
***** ***** are right. They are just plain not liable. They are not the couriers and do not employ them.
Hermes are arguably liable. I know that they use self employed drivers though so they could argue that they are not responsible.
What you could do is get an injunction forcing them to reveal the identity of the driver. That would succeed and you would recover costs if they refused.
You could then sue him personally.
Quite frankly though, it might be cheaper to make a claim from your insurance.
The other alternative is to wait to see what the police investigation reveals. They will identify the driver and probably will pursue him for failing to stop and report. That might lead to his identification for free.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No that is fine thank you very much....
No problem and all the best.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.