How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I've been separated from my wife 4 years now, but

This answer was rated:

I've been separated from my wife for over 4 years now, but we're not divorced. I pay her a monthly amount that we agreed on for her and our 3 children and we generally are on friendly terms together. We also sold our properties and she has the proceeds from those with which she wants to buy a house one day.
Now I'm in a position where I would like to buy a small flat in Tenerife to rent out as an investment and I'd like to know if there is any danger of her being entitled to any of that property at some point.
Hi, thanks for your question.
As you remain married and there has been no court order regarding finances, both of you are entitled to seek financial relief from the each other. When doing so you will both have to provide full and frank financial disclosure, which will include any new properties that you have purchased after the separation. Your wife will be entitled to consider seeking financial relief from the new property, depending on her reasonable needs.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you