How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35085
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I was divorced three years ago and have a General Form of

This answer was rated:

I was divorced three years ago and have a General Form of Order - Ancillary Relief, in this order my Ex was to pay half a loan we had together that is secured on my property, she is approx 12 months in arreas and I have just discovered today that on the 4th Dec this month she has been made bankrupt, can I ask where I stanf regarding the order?Thank you
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstWhat is the exact wording of the Order regarding the loan?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is a little long winded, two pages of all the finance, can I scan a copy and send you?
of course
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** attached.
Just to check - it is the Barclays debt?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it was a joint loan secured on my property.
OkThis is going to sound complicated for which I apologise.So far as Barclays is concerned she is no longer responsible for the debt - it is now your debt and yours alone.HOWEVER the court order means that she continues to owe YOU half of the monthly payments and you can enforce the Order against her if she stops paying.I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes that is what I thought and as she has now just gone bankrupt means I dont get anything
No it is the opposite.You can still recover the money form her - she owes you the money and that is NOT wiped out by the bankruptcy
No it is the oppositeYOU can still enforce your family court order against her - she has to pay YOU half of the repayment each month
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im sorry Im cofused, I thought once bankrupt it stoped all debts, how do I do this?
As I said she no longer owes Barclays the money.However bankruptcy does NOT effect a Family Court order and accordingly she still has to comply with the order
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** been a great help, how do I enforce this?
Your options are set out here
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** I am going to need someone to act for me.
You can do it yourself - many do