How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have recently moved house and also been going through divorce

This answer was rated:

I have recently moved house and also been going through divorce and custody battle in last few months.I went to my old house to collect my post and got six speeding tickets each with 3 points and 100£ fine. I have spoken to the authorities and they have suggested my best bet is to plead my case in front of a magistrate
I await your expert comments
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Do you accept any of the tickets?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes accepted 4 they sent me another two
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know
But you contest these new 2?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I donot know what to do
Some friends suggested I accept all and then plead my case in front of the magistrate
If you accept the offence then there is no point going before the Magistrates. If you contest it then you should go before the Court.
If you have 6 speeding tickets you are liable to be disqualified as you will have 12 points or more. That being the case then you can go before the Court and say why you should not be disqualified. But you can be disqualified with 4 speeding tickets - you appear to have 6.
So if you disagree with the speeding ticket and want to challenge it, you can go before the Court.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alex
What happens if I dont challenge the last two ? Can i go before the court or magistrate?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I challenge the last two , do I go to magistrates then?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please tell me what is the safest course of action in the circumstances. I cannot afford to lose my licence as I will lose my job and also lose contact with my children
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I eagerly await your expert advice
If you don't challenge then no you can't go before a court and challenge with a magistrate.
You can only challenge if you contest them and it will go to trial at court.
If you contest them then you can go to court. It not if you agree them.
Does that clarify?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Alex i understand
How do i challenge the last 2 then?
You need to complete the parts on the back of the form to contest it
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have spoken to my friend and I havent worded my questions correctly so resending my query.
I want to go to magistrates to mitigate my case to avoid the ban because I am a Gp and I have to do home visits for my patients.
On each of the six occasions that I got a speeding ticket I was either collecting or dropping my kids and was very tense about upsetting my violent ex. After having gone through a difficult divorce.
Also I believe I wouldnot have accrued six speeding tickets if they came to the right address as I would have dealt with them earlier.
Please let me know how I can achieve the above .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you please explain what you mean by contesting as I donot deny being the driver or driving above the speed limit .
Have you been summonsed to attend Court yet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No i havenot
I havenot returned the last 2 tickets yet
Ok, then you can contest the 2 tickets by saying you didnt do it - then it goes to Court.
If you have already some tickets - you can't do anything about that as they have been dealt with. The contested tickets will go before a Court and you can plead your case not to be disqualified.
Does that clarify?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No Alex they havent been dealt with I have only filled the back and returned I havenot paid the fine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think so
I await your expert advice
Ok. Then you can contest all the ones you haven't completed.
Does that help.
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you