How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71041
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Carrying on with the domestic case mentioned before witH Jo

Customer Question

Carrying on with the domestic case mentioned before witH Jo C. My x girl friend said that the police have filed the case. Does that mean that I can return to England or will there be a red flag raised at the airport.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Remind me of the history to this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So my ex opened a domestic case with the police after she alleged that I broke some things in her house that she was renting. Long story short, you gave me some advice and between us we agreed to settle the matter out if court. I am currently in South Africa but this incident occurred in the UK. Initially the police were keen to talk to me but after I paid her the £400 that she requested they said to her( as i have not really had any contact with the police) that the case was "filed" and they did not need to talk to me as I was not in the UK. What does this mean in real terms if I wanted to visit the UK. Should I be worried about re entering the country if what she says is true?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Ignore her. She is being untruthful.
Even if she did speak to the police they wouldn't have just abandoned it on her wishes. The days when women could get away with wasting police time have died a timely death.
It might well be that they have formally NFAed the matter as you are abroad but they wouldn't have told her and they wouldn't do so because she had lost interest after having wasted their time on her attention seeking reports.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She is a very honest person and the police have not made any attempt to contact me. Also I belive her when she says that the police said they have filed the case. Have you heard of such a thing? I was also wondering what the implications were if I visited the country. Would someone be there to greet me or would I be stopped at customs?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Oh no, they won't. They are not likely to try to track you down South Africa.
But the chances they have closed the case just because she has changed her mind is another matter.
They probably won't pick you up at the air port. The risk is just if you come to attention when here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
By come to attention, do you mean break the law?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Or otherwise come to attention - report an offence yourself, ask for directions.
Or more likely this young lady has another tantrum and calls the police.