How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I was wondering if you could answer a few questions for

Customer Question

Hi I was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me. My Dad is thinking of transferring his deeds in my name. He is the sole owner on the deeds as this was an inherited prop from my grandad. His property is approx £300k mtg free. My only concern is he is currently married. Should they split would his wife still have claim on the property. Any help would be great. Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please can you update my e mail as it doesn't seem to let me. Correct e mail is***@******.*** thanks
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
Is the property the family home for him and his wife? If it is, then his wife will have matrimonial home rights and she can make a claim towards this property - even if it is transferred to your name.
As part of a divorce and financial settlement, all property and assets will need to be considered and disclosed. The court will then look at each of their needs and contributions when deciding what a fair settlement should be. Therefore, if it is seen that the intention of the transfer of the property to you is to deny his wife a right to make a claim, then this transfer can be ignored when deciding on the settlement.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively so that the question can be closed.