How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34910
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My son is 1 yr old I was never married to his mom basically

Customer Question

my son is 1 yr old I was never married to his mom basically when she fell pregnant after 6 moths of dating me she announced she doesn't need no man now,when my son was born we went to register office and bcos I wasn't aware that my son can have my last name even thou we not married I wanted to double barrelled it the registry clark said its not possible so we left my exs last name ,few moths after I asked her to changed it to mine or double barrelled it she wont listen she throws me out of the flat threatening me I wont see my son etc I'm distressed I love my little boy I see him 5 times a week but at the same time he has nothing after me no first name no middle nor last name ,my family mum and dad are sad that my ex is so cruel and wont allow my son to identify him self with my side which is my last name ,please tell me do I stand any chances to win my last name atleast double barrelled please help me thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
HIThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help youI am afraid that since you were not married it was up to the mother whether or not to invite you to be on the Birth Certificate - and to chose which last name to sueYour son has much from you -and clearly you are building a close relationship - which is much more important than the name since that is a matter that he can decide for himself once he is 16.There is no basis on which a court application would be successful at this stage I am afraidPlease ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just last question because I'm beating myself up for this, what would happened if at the registry on that day I insisted on my last name in front of the Clark and I'm not leaving til it's done would he then put my one or go by what my sons my says Anyway? Because my parents blame me for not doing this thank u.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
At that point your ex could have simply stood up and decided not to register the birth - then gone back the next day and registered the birth without you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome - enjoy your son - he can change his name himself when he is older