How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kasare Your Own Question
Kasare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1301
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Kasare is online now

In the case of a parent who has a 15 year old child who's attendance

This answer was rated:

In the case of a parent who has a 15 year old child who's attendance is 62%, the authority is referring the parent to the magistrates court and faces a fine of £1000 ; what kind of solicitor is accredited to advise the parent and how to find one? thanks!
Hi thanks for your question. I will try to assist you with this.
May I ask, is there a reason for the child failing to attend school? Or has the parent failed to cooperate with the local authority?
Unfortunately, a parent is responsible for a child to attend school and failure to do so can mean a parent is prosecuted. Local authorities have the power to prosecute parents who fail to comply with a school attendance order (section 443 of the Education Act 1996) or fail to ensure their child’s regular attendance at a school (section 444 of the Education Act 1996).
The parent should seek advice from a solicitor versed in family/child law. If you need to you could search the law society to find an appropriate solicitor in your area here -
If the parent is having difficulty in getting the child to school, prior to going to court, the parent should contact the local authority and explain the situation. The local authority does not usually prosecute if the parent of the child is trying to cooperate but it is the child who is refusing to attend and then a way to resolve this can be reached. If the parent is unwilling to work with the local authority to do this, then they will be prosecuted.
If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, dont forget to rate/accept my answer.
Kasare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will gather some evidence with the parent and child concerned and try to find a solicitor as you advised.I have not used this service before - if I continue this point do I continue it with you or another on-call solicitor?
Hi DuncanHappy New Year! You can continue with me if you want - if I am online - or another expert. If you mark it forCustomer if I am online I will be notified, if not, another expert can answer. I hope that helps.