How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12179
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

There. I am the oldest son of a scottish travelling family

This answer was rated:

Hi there. I am the oldest son of a scottish travelling family whose mother has just died. Under our traditions, the sons of the decreased are the people who arrange the funeral. My oldest sister and her husband have now contacted me to tell me that they are going to deal with the arrangements. Is there anything I can do to stop this and take control of the arrangements as my mother wished?
Thank you for your question.
Under the law of Scotland the executor is the person entitled to arrange the funeral. If there is a will the executor will be named in the will. If there is no will any child is entitled to go to the court and have him or herself appointed as executor. If no one applies any child or close relative can instruct the funeral undertaker.
I hope that helps.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you