How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1436
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

Husband and i split in october he has said that the house we

This answer was rated:

husband and i split in october he has said that the house we own is mine he has said it to me and our young adult children and written it in a letter Problem is i cant get him to sign property papers signing the home over to me. We both dont want lawyers involved but he wont communicate
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
It is my advice to you that you refer you matter to family mediation.
It is simply not enough for your husband to sign over the house to you. Your husband could still make a claim against the house in the future as it is a matrimonial asset.
If you can agree at mediation that the house should be signed over to you then this can be written into a consent order and sent to the court for approval. Once the court has approved the same - this means that your husband cannot seek to claim the house from you in the future.
Lawyers are not involved in mediation - which keeps costs low.
It is actually not possible to make a claim in respect of the matrimonial finances at court unless mediation has first been attempted. This is a new rule and it means that the court will automatically reject any application where mediation hasnt been tried first.
There are lots of mediation services and there will be one local to you. Just google Family Mediation in your area and give them a call to get the ball rolling.
Please do not hesitate to ask if I can clarify anything for you.
Kind Regards
Please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our work
ukfamilysolicitor and other Law Specialists are ready to help you