How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have caught my wife doing what she should not be doing, she

This answer was rated:

I have caught my wife doing what she should not be doing, she now is telling me to leave the family home, can she do this as I want to stay until I find somewhere else to live.
Hi, thanks for your question.
Without a court order she cannot change locks or exclude you from the property. As it is the family home, you have a right to live there and if the property is owned, you are able to register your matrimonial home rights with the land registry if the property is not in your name or joint names.
Even though you have temporarily moved out voluntarily, she is still not allowed to change the locks until there has been a formal long-term agreement.
I would suggest that you communicate with her in writing and request that you return to the property.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you