How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My mother was overpaid her direct payment benefit. I now have

Customer Question

My mother was overpaid her direct payment benefit. I now have both powers of attorney. Are the council allowed to make me produce her bank statements. They provided me with an estimate and an invoice of the amount they wanted back but are now instead demanding her bank statements. Is this allowed?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Yes they are allowed to ask for bank statements. If they are not provided the law allows them to approach the bank and ask for copies without permission.
If there has been an overpayment they will calculate this. If it is their fault then you can appeal and the law says if it is their fault you do not have to repay it.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?