How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10972
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

My friend tried to come to the UK as a refugee. He went to

This answer was rated:

My friend tried to come to the UK as a refugee. He went to Spain from Syria before he flight to the UK and he has been finger printed as he caught in the airport. He than flight to the UK and requested to be a refugee. He has been moved to a removal centre near Heathrow airport . Now they saying they found his finger print in the Spain and want to deport him there. Is there a way to keep him in the UK? Please advice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is a she not he. Sorry typing error
1. It is a fundamental rule of refugee law that a refugee must claim asylum in the first state in which they land. So a refugee like your friend who has first entered Spain cannot then seek to claim asylum in the UK when they get there subsequently. So I regret to say that your friend will have to return to Spain and seek refugee status there. Otherwise she may be deported from the UK TO SOME third country where she will still not be able to claim refugee status as she can now only claim refugee status under International law in Spain. So she will face the same problem as she faces in the UK IF SHE seeks to apply for refugee status in some other country, eg Sweden for instance.
2. At this stage I would simply suggest she goes to Spain and claims asylum there. Otherwise she simply faces the same impediment should she go to any other country and seek refugee status there. So she should get refugee status in Spain and then use the freedom of movement provisions of the EU treaty to subsequently move to the UK TO LIVE there.
3. However, at the moment your friend runs the risk of being deported to some third country where she will have to fend for herself. So I would suggest she would be better off making arrangements for living in Spain where she can get help. And refugee status.
Buachaill and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you