How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50187
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I had a bathroom fitted 14months ago, by a local firm, they

This answer was rated:

I had a bathroom fitted 14months ago, by a local firm, they failed to fit a new toilet (plumbing the old one back in) and the extract fan has not been connected to the vent tile. I paid a deposit of £1,000 before work started and over the course of the last 14 months I have been sent bills (no reminder or final demands) for the total sum of money £6,400 (which isn't correct as it should be minus the £1,000). I have contacted them by phone and inform them that the job is still not complete I have been told each time that they will resolve the issue but I am no further forward with this. I am happy to keep my "old" toilet plumbed in and I have connected the extractor fan to the vent tile myself to prevent any further damage from damp in the loft space. I am willing to "settle" the bill but feel that I shouldn't be paying the full amount but realistically what can I deduct from the bill??
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What do you think is the outstanding value of the works still to be completed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know. Because of the time it is taking to resolve this, the floor tiles and back panel are all discontinued now so they would have to replace all that or they could possibly change the toilet without doing this.
What you should do is try to calculate the work which they have undertaken and pay them for that only. If they have completed parts of the job then they can still expect payment for that and you should try and pay them for it. What the value of this work is something which you need to either estimate yourself, or get an independent builder to do. For example, you could get someone new to provide you with a professional opinion on what they believe the amount of work already completed is and use that as a basis to try and negotiate a settlement. If this matter was to go to court, this is what it would be looking at as well – what was the value of works already completed as that is what the builder would be reasonably expected to recover in the circumstances. However, the precise value is not a matter for a lawyer to advise on – this is something which you need to establish with the help of a builder as they can provide details on what they believe that value is. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you