How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32177
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have a 95 year old mother who has dementia and is looked

Customer Question

I have a 95 year old mother who has dementia and is looked after in a specialist Care Home. My Mother is also partially deaf needing hearing aids to assist her hearing.
Since being under care my mother has lost two sets of hearing aids costing £600 a pair. After the first loss, I asked the Care Home to include removal and replacement of the hearing aids each evening/morning to be included into the Care Plan so that the aids were not lost again. This appears not to have been done since a second pair have now been lost.
It is my guess that my Mother is permitted to go to sleep with both aids I her ears. Since these then annoy her during the night she removes them and leaves them lying in the bedclothes. When the bed is changed in the morning the hearing aids are removed with the dirty wash which ends up in the laundry.
At £600 a pair, my mother cannot afford to replace these expensive items on a regular basis so I believe the home to be negligent and should assume their Duty of Care and replace the Hearing Aids.
John Raglan
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!