12826847

I have a court adjournment summons speeding offences

Hi. I have a court adjournment summons for two speeding offences and two failure to respond ( one for each). The court is considering suspending my license. The summons is the first I have heard of any offences of court summons. I moved house in February 2013 and neglected to alter my vehicle registration document. Do you have any advice?
My license is clean currently, and has been for some years.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this. Was your post not forwarded by anyone?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My post was not forwarded by anyone
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could we have a telephone conversation?
Yes, I can do that.
Or we can carry on online? The latter would be cheaper.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think we should carry on online. Thanks
Ok.
What speed were you doing and what was the limit?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
36mph. The limit is 30mph.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The mystery is, how they tracked me down in the end. The DVLA (driving license) has (and had) my current address, so I can only assume that the new owners at my previous address returned to sender. I am willing to accept the speeding offence, but am of course keen to avoid a disqualification.
Are you charged with speeding and failing to identify in the alternative?
For both offences?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, for both.
If you offer a plea to speeding on both occasions in exchange for discontinue the failing to identify then CPS might be willing to accept that. I used to prosecute traffic courts all the time and it is rare that CPS pursue failing to identify if a plea to speeding is available.
If they won't though then you can always plead not guilty to the failing to identify. There is case law to the effect that people in your position aren't in the best situation. Come what may, you are under a duty to tell them where your car is kept. There is an offence in failing to do so although they won't prosecute it.
However, I think overall if you are credible on the point the Bench would probably accept you didn't get the S172 request and so couldn't identify.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, that is very useful indeed, many thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I offer the plea? In writing, or on the day?
You can write in advance but my experience is that CPS will just ignore it.
I would do it face to face on the day.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. That answers my question admirably.
No problem and all the best.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.