How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12079
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have been having an issue With southlanarkshirecouncil ,I

Customer Question

I have been having an issue With southlanarkshirecouncil ,I live in sheltered housing because my husband was ill he passed away in July 2010 then I had to sign a new tenant agreement in 2010 . In 2014 they installed gas heating if the tenants wanted it I did not .when the council had the meeting with tenants it was mentioned that the tenants would get their own supplier and their rent would go down by £32-10 a month as the heating was included in rent ,as I have not used the heating for 6 years I have asked for money back it has been going on for a year now and they informed me that I had signed a tenant agreement to say I would pay this when I asked for proof they sent me an agreement changed from the one I signed and they say that although the heating part is ommised I have signed it to say I would pay this ,I am still saying I am paying someone for a servise I am not using ie heating someone is getting paid for heating my house I can't find out the supplier if their is one do I have a case against the council to stop paying this heating
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
I am a solicitor in Scotland. If you haven't signed a tenancy agreement agreeing to pay for heating then the council can't charge you for it. A contract has to comprise an offer and an acceptance. From what you say their is no acceptance by you of the liability to pay for heating provided by the council. I suggest you take the paperwork you have and yourself off to a local solicitor and ask home or her to write to the council on your behalf. They are more likely to pay attention to your solicitor. It is clear that they are ignoring your own letters. Depending on your circumstances this is a matter which could be dealt with under legal aid. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you ever so much I will get this looked at as soon as possible Yours sincerely *****
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome. Don't forget to leave a positive rating on the system so that I am credited for my time.