How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I am still in a divorce. My ex wife has NPD. I have a huge

Customer Question

I am still in a divorce. My ex wife has NPD. I have a huge amount of evidence of her typical NPD misbehaviours - much in phone recordings and from her chat log with a lover where she admits bad NPD behaviour especially child abuse. I want to ask the court for custody but would be generous re her access to our two kids. My new partner and I are ideally placed to care for the kids e.g. my partner is a teacher with the same hours and holidays as the kids.
Are there any court cases re custody where the wife is is NPD?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
Have you commenced the child arrangement issue? You would not need to rely on other case precedents regarding such disorders and if the issue is raised, the judge will decide whether an independent expert should be instructed to assess her disorder and the impact that it would have on your children. If the expert concludes that her disorder impacts the level of care she can provide the children then this would be helpful for your case.
Given that there are allegations of child abuse, if this has not been investigated by the police and you have concerns regarding your children you should consider immediate pursuit of proceedings for a child arrangement order for the children to live with you - you do not have to wait until conclusion of the divorce. The application can be made under form C100, together with form C1A to list the details of concerns, to your local family court together with a £215 court fee on an urgent basis given the alleged concerns.
When the proceedings are issued a CAFCASS officer will be allocated who will consider the application, carry out background checks (police and social services) on you, your current partner, as well as the mother and her current partner. The CAFCASS officer will also ask your views on the application, and the mother's views and make a recommendation to the court.
How old are the children, and what are the current arrangements for them to see/live with you?
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a rating.