How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have a question regarding a property. My ex partner and

Customer Question

Hi I have a question regarding a property. My ex partner and I would like to get his name removed from the deeds to the house. It was only added a few months ago. But now he has terminated the relationship he wishes to have it removed. So I can remortgage the house to pay him back the money he put into the house.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
Are you married to him? Is his name also on the mortgage? If you are not married is there a deed of trust in place?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Harris
No we were never married and the mortgage was in my slow name. Three years ago we paid the outstanding amount off. A few months he requested his name to be added to the deeds so I did. Now he has terminated the relationship and wants his money and name removed. We are still on speaking terms at the moment but really need to get a jump on this
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ps I don't know what a deed of trust is.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for confirming. A deed of trust is formal confirmation of how property will be held and in what shares.
Given that there is currently no mortgage on the property, it makes the process easier. You will need to undertake a transfer of equity and there are numerous forms to potentially fill in, depending on the circumstances and what is on the title. You can follow the procedure here: which outlines all the relevant forms you need to complete depending on the details of the title.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. Please rate my response positively if you found it helpful - I will not be credited for answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you!