How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

One of our clients is refusing to pay a debt. the client is

Customer Question

one of our clients is refusing to pay a debt. the client is a school federation. who would we name on the small claims application? is it the directors of the federation or the contact we were dealing with?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. How is named on the invoice? Is it a limited company that comprises the federation? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HI AJ. they are registered on companies house and have a registered company number so I think they would be
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
oh - and on the invoice it is to the 'Harris Federation'
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thank you. The party that you sue has to be the party that you invoices (i.e the limited company). You can send a copy of the proceedings to the directors so they are aware you have issued a claim, but for the claim to be valid a copy of the claim must be served at the registered office of the company. Before you sue them I would give them a 7 day warning to say that they are now outside your credit terms and if continued non payment will result in you exercising your right to recover the money through the court process. How much are you owed - this will have any effect on where you actually commence proceedings and the threat of costs that may be payable? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it is nota massive amount - just under £7k but worth our while to pursue I think. we issued them a notice of intention of proceedings a few weeks ago and have heard nothing back. do you guys have any affiliation with or know any reasonably priced law firms that could issue proceedings on our behalf?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
H, Thank you. £7k is substantial sum, but it does fall within the small claims remit. The down side is the costs you can recover (not court fees but costs for legal advice - court fees are always paid in full if you win) are limited by the civil procedure rules if you win. This means you may spend money on a solicitor that you cannot recover - if you are happy to follow the procedure then I would just recommend doing this via the money claim online process you really want a solicitor then contact the Law Society and ask for a debt recovery solicitor based near to you (preferably not in London as they will be cheaper outside London).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks very much for the info
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
No problem, any feedback is gratefully received. If I can assist any further please do not hesitate to contact me. Kind regards AJ