How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34897
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Me and my son live in my husband's house. He wants to sell

This answer was rated:

Me and my son live in my husband's house. He wants to sell the house and separate. Can he force us to leave? (lived in rented accommodation together since 2010, married in 2011, moved into his house in 2014). he will claim, that he does not have the money to keep up the house, there has been no change in his income much since he owned the house (1982). I don't want to divorce or leave as I am in the middle of writing a PhD, my son is due to leave home for Uni this atutumn if all goes well.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets and debts are there and what income do you each have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the house is mortgage free, I am not paying rent either (it's my husband's) and worth about 250K plus. I told me he would give me the gain in value since 2011 to 2016, but I guess he will wriggle out of it if he can at the end. For now I don't want to move, at least not for a year.
What income do you each have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my husband is self employed artist with a turnover of about 35-45Kpa but income ends up about 15K, I am employed part time with and income of 34Ka
What capital did you bring to the marriage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no capital
You have matrimonial home rights on the property and should register them using the form here
This means that your ex cannot sell the property without your co=operation - or a Court Order.
You are entitled to live in the property so long as you are married - and if he tries to exclude you then you can obtain a Court Order allowing you to return.
You may of course have to take over payment of the bills.
In the longer term the house will have to be sold - you will be entitled to a percentage of the proceeds of sale - somewhere between 15% and 325% is likely
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
I have always paid 2/3 of all bills anyhow and will continue.
Thank you for your advice and link. I shall register with the Land Registry.
Best regards,Hedda
You are most welcome - I hope all goes well