How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71153
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

The house next door to us was very badly damaged by fire about

This answer was rated:

The house next door to us was very badly damaged by fire about 3 months ago and the owner/occupier has been charged with arson so obviously his insurer will not be paying for demolition or rebuilding. Could you tell me any organisations which would be able to do something about this as the view from our upstairs windows and outside door is appalling and should we want to sell our home there would be very little interest in buying a property with a burnt out house standing next door.
Avril Nalson
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would like to know if there is any chance that we can get any support in making the house next door into a habitable property
I am really sorry but I'm afraid there is not.
Your own insurers will not pay for obvious reasons.
Obviously you can pay but I would imagine you are not keen to do so. A private investor may be willing to buy for renovation purposes but that is really something for the current owners.
If you are prepared to invest then you can consider that.
The council would have an obligation if it were there property but it is not.
I'm very sorry but I'm afraid nobody can be forced to renovate.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you