How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1441
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I am enquiring on behalf of a friend about the death of

This answer was rated:

Hi I am enquiring on behalf of a friend about the death of his brother.And his brothers wishes.As he did not signa will and testament,He only told his brother about his wishes before he died.Can he contest what ever the law states as to who gets what ever the law states as to who gets his estate and what has to be done to grant his wishes of the deceased even though it is not written down.Please could you advise what to be done.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am sorry to say but if there was no valid will then your friends brothers estate will have to be distributed as per the rules of intestatcy.
There is the possibility of an immediate family member seeking to contest the provisions under The Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975.
This is however quite restrictive. The court will not make an order in these circumstances on the grounds it is not what was expected or what the deceased wanted. If the family member was financially independent then it would be very difficult to make a claim.
I am sorry as I appreciate that this is not what you want to hear.
Kind Regards
Please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our work
ukfamilysolicitor and other Law Specialists are ready to help you