How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have recently been questioned by the police (voluntary attendance

This answer was rated:

I have recently been questioned by the police (voluntary attendance at police station for questioning) following an allegation from an ex-partner on harassment and computer misuse.
The police have now contacted me that they are not, following reviewing the evidence of both statements, not progressing with the case.
I would like to know if I have a case against my ex-partner for slander?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
In reality no. In order to bring a case under the Defamation Act 2013 you would need to show serious harm. If you can't show serious harm then any claim would fail.
Even if you can get over that then proceedings would be in the High Court. If defended then it will cost you circa £20,000 or so to get it to trial as proceedings are specialised.
If you lost then you would have to pay the costs of the other side, so your exposure is over £40,000.
I am sorry if this is not the answer you necessarily want or the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alex, thank you for the help.
We both work together and this is causing me serious harm, mentally. The relationship ended in March 15 but still it's on going.
I did not know that she had gone to the Police about any of this until I was asked to be interviewed, I informed work of this and they suspended me until the investigation was concluded.
I understand the exposure, is high court the only way this could be heard? And what evidence do i need, is the Police questioning enough? Can we request the statement she made to the police of the allegations?
If you have been to the GP and diagnosed with depression or had a psychiatric assessment then you may have a claim.
High Court is the ONLY Court this can be heard at - these are the rules and the costs you are exposed to are around £40,000.
You would need evidence of false statements and serious harm.
I hope that helps
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you