How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71041
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

A complaint of "unwanted contact" has been lodged against

This answer was rated:

A complaint of "unwanted contact" has been lodged against me with the police by an ex-partner. I have been contacted (by e-mail) by a community police constable with a view to arranging a telephone conversation, which has so far not been possible. I am being asked to speak to him on a purely voluntary basis.
As far as I am concerned, the complaint is frivolous and mischievous, and I would like to know what my legal position is if I decline to speak to the constable, with a view to having the complaint withdrawn or taken to the next stage - i.e., some sort of formal charge.
Do you have any advice for me?
Thank you
Jeremy Rose
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Of course it is frivolous but it will be malicious rather than mischievous. There is not much genuine abuse in the UK but a whole load of childish people using the police to get revenge.
What is the allegation specifically?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's rather complicated and I'm a very slow typist! The allegation is basically one of harassment, but as I say, I am absolutely confident that there would be no case to answer. Is it possible for you to let me know what would be the situation if I refused to (voluntarily) speak to the community PC, and put the ball back in the complainant's court, so to speak...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, but do I just wait on this page for your response..?
They will come round and arrest you. It is not a good idea.
Probably all they want to do anyway is give you a harassment warning which they will do at some point whether you are agreeable or not.
It isn't a good idea to refuse to cooperate with the police. You need to be the reasonable person in all of this. They will probably have formed a view that she is wasting their time but if you upset them the whole thing will be turned on you.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I suspected that would be the case. Do I really have to accept a harassment warning even though no harassment has taken place?
It doesn't matter whether you accept it or not. A harassment warning is no more than an invention of the police. It is a way of diverting allegations away from court. It doesn't comment upon the truth of the allegation. All it does is fix a person with notice that further contact would be considered harassment.Further contact would be a mistake for other reasons because this person is an accuser. Accusers always cause trouble in the end.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. That's all very clear. I have to say that it hardly seems fair that the accuser appears to win without my side being heard. Heigh, ho...
Oh yes, the law is very heavily biased in favour of accusers. That is all very well in the rare instances of genuine abuse but in the majority of cases it is all a load of nonsense.
You can always sue for defamation. It isn't that easy but you could in principle.
If she carries on then you could sue her in harassment but you need more than one allegation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Am I allowed one final question? During the brief time of our relationship, I transferred approximately £1,000 into the lady's bank account. Would it be more trouble than it was worth to try and recover that..?
It depends. Possibly.
What was the arrangement about repayment?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ah... No repayment was ever considered because at the time we were planning a life together and I was helping her out...
Ok. That is likely to be considered a gift then. It is unusual to gift money though. It is just not really a romantic gift.I don't know whether it was consequent upon any condition that hasn't been fulfilled?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, no, not at all. I had the money and she needed it. Nothing more. There were plenty of more romantic gifts, though..!
That is a shame. Probably a bad debt then I'm afraid. Never get involved with women who scrounge money off you or women who have a background of summonsing up the police to domestic rows. Whatever their excuses, however sincere they sound, they are fixing you with notice that you will be the subject of their next allegation. Normal women get through their whole lives without ever even once summonsing up the police to play at a personal dispute.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I thought so. The money was freely offered and genuinely reluctantly accepted, however. As I said, Heigh, ho...
Many thanks for your help. It's definitely time to draw a line...
Jeremy Rose
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile