How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I am the sole shareholder of a limited company and I

This answer was rated:

I am the sole shareholder of a limited company and I want to transfer my shares to my husband. How do I do this
Hi Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. How much are the shares worth? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the company has been a dormant company and was in my name only. I have changed the director over to my husband and he want's to trade it now.

I suppose the shares are worth a peppercorn £1

Hi, Thank you. To make the transfer of legal ownership you need to fill in a form CON40G and file it with the company books. You then need to update the company books, issue a share certificate to your husband (or he can do that himself), and then update the shareholder register when you next file an annual return.[STOCK_G]_.htm - this is what the form looks like, but you may be able to get it for free from somewhere else on the internet. If the shares are worth less than £1000 (as you say) you will need to certify on the back of the form that you are not paying stamp duty on them.The form does not need to be filed anywhere it is just an instrument of transfer your husband can use to evidence that you sold him the shares. Kind regards AJ
Alex J. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you