How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My son has a child who was born in Spain to a Spanish mother.

This answer was rated:

My son has a child who was born in Spain to a Spanish mother. My son has no contact with them. I have received a letter from the mother of my grandson explaining that in order to get a passport for him my son has to either give her 'power of attorney' or go to the Spanish Embassy to sign some special document. A trip to the embassy is out of the question so is there some way we can do this with a local solicitor? My son has no problem with giving up his rights as a parent.
Hi, thanks for your question.
Do they all live in England or Wales?
If they do and this is an application only for a passport for the child, your son can write a letter and have it witnessed and counter-signed by a solicitor for her to take with her to the Embassy.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No the mother and child live in Spain, my son lives in England.
Thanks for the confirmation. He will have to sign the passport application and a "power of attorney" as suggested by the mother will not be enough. The best way to deal with would be for the mother to send the completed passport application to your son to countersign and for him to provide a signed letter countersigned by a solicitor with the application back to the mother.