How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10944
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

Buachaill,thanks answer. Are you saying that

This answer was rated:

HICustomerthanks for your answer.
Are you saying that by the end of 2016 even though I haven't been married to my British husband for a period of 5 years in total that I can apply for indefinite to Leave?
If not which leave are you referring to?
I have been in the UK for 11 years (some periods as a visitor, some as student, some married to a EU national and the latest one married to my British husband.
1. So long as you have been married to your UK citizen husband for three years, and you have been living in the UK for those three years, you are entitled to apply for UK citizenship. This would automatically solve all your visa problems. There is no need to wait until you have been in the UK for five years.
2. The period of five years (plus one more year) would be the applicable period for settlement (and one year after for citizenship) if you were married to an EU national or if you were applying based on your long residence in the UK. It is only three years for the spouse of a British national.
3. Be aware that periods as a student don't count towards getting settlement (Indefinite Leave to Remain) or citizenship. However, if you lived in the UK married to or with an EU national these periods would count towards a five year continuous residence necessary for settlement and Indefinite Leave to Remain.
Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am very excited with the new possibilities of getting citizenship quicker than I thought.
4. Well, citizenship is available to you after three years living in the UK married to your UK citizen husband.