How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have a cohabitation question, i have bought my house and am the sole person on the

This answer was rated:

I have a cohabitation question, i have bought my house and am the sole person on the mortgage, my partner wants to move in, with his daughter who he has full custody over.
My question is, if in the unfortunate event that we part ways due to a relationship breakdown, how can I protect my assets (as in my house). I do not want him to have any access to it financially.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards
Hi, thanks for your question.
You should consider making a deed of trust and a cohabitation agreement outlying that he will have no claim to the property and that any of his contributions will not give rise to a share of the property.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your response, do you know roughly:
1) How much do these take to set up
2) How long to set these up
Can this be done online/Printed off or will I need to visit a solicitors to arrange these documents.Vicki
It would be best for a solicitor to assist and advise you regarding the contents of both. Prices will vary depending on solicitors but would be in the range of £500-1000 for both documents, but you can find local ones here: - area of practice would be family law.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thats great thank you for your help.
Hope it goes well - please rate my response positively if you found it helpful - I will not be credited for answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you