How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My female partner is pursuing her ex one-off compensation

This answer was rated:

My female partner is pursuing her ex for a one-off compensation package as a result of many years of controlling behaviour etc.
She was not married to him, and had wrongly assumed common-law would apply when they parted. He has refused to pay a penny and has even ejected her from one of their homes.
My question is - if I want to live with this lady, will her case be prejudiced in any way - and/or am I likely to be involved or cited in court as a result?
Hi, thanks for your question.
How is she pursuing this and under what basis? Do they have children together? Are any of the properties registered in both of their names or any deeds of trust in place?
If they had children together she may be entitled to a claim for financial support to house the children if she is unable to do so and a court would need to consider her current circumstances - so if she (and any children) were being housed by you then he would unlikely have to provide for them in relation to financial support for housing.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She is pursuing her claim separately, and as her children are adult, they are not involved unless they are called as witnesses.My question is only that as/when it comes to court, whether my existence can be used by his defence as a way of reducing any compensation she may receive as a result of his behaviour during the many years before she met me.Or is it best to live in separate properties until her claim is settled one way or the other.We are senior citizens btw - she will be 70 yo in February, I am 69 yo.
What is the exact nature of the claim in court and under what jurisdiction is the court dealing with it? Is it a family law case or a civil case?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I need to get details of her exact legal position before being able to answer your question.We can either leave it pro tem or I can get back to you next week.
Yes, please get back to me once you have the relevant information