How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I'm wanting to report somebody . She is purposely

This answer was rated:

Hi I'm wanting to report somebody for defamation. She is purposely contacting current and future clients of mine. Calling my business a scam etc the lady has had no dealings with myself in any way yet has suddenly started with this slander which is damaging my business. Do I have a case
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
To whom are you hoping to report her?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have a clue I just want the slander to stop and wondered my process / steps to have some form of restraining order obviously not that but where she can't mention or contact my customers
Defamation is not a criminal offence so it cannot be reported to anybody I'm afraid.
If she is calling your business a scam then you could sue her for defamation. It is expensive if she contests the matter and you would need to get witnesses to court to give evidence that she has said this. However, this is clearly defamatory and a court would accept that you have suffered loss.
A cheaper option is to get a solicitor to write to her warning her of the laws of libel and slander. That has no legal status of itself but it does often work. That would cost about £100 plus VAT or thereabouts.
Failing that you would have to sue but that is to be avoided if you can.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you offer that service of submitting letters ? I do have witnesses and I do have the messages she has sent to my clients. What do you think would be my better option. And would I need a solictior present and what would happen if she doesn't turn up?
We don't but you could use a barrister under public access. It is probably cheaper than a solicitor.
Try here
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thankyou for your help
No problem and all the best.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.