How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

A few days ago my partner and i were called to my parents propery

This answer was rated:

a few days ago my partner and i were called to my parents propery that a neighbour had been seen damaging with a hammer and chisel. we attended as soon as possible. the neibour had left the property but then returned wielding an axe stuck into a large log. we challenged him. he ran toward my partner shutting a car door on his hand . i laft the car and a scuffle and angry exchange of words occurred . physical contact was minimal. we left and reported to police unfortunately advising them we are going away. now on his account alone the police are wishing to give me a caution or arrest me and charge me without taking a statement. should i accept caution given it will give me a record that will affect checks for voluntary work with riding for disabled?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
What would the caution be for please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am in Scotland what I was offered is an informal warning. If accepted this seems an acceptance of's for a minor assault where I was also assaulted witnessed by my partner. I apparently went to kick a man who assaulted my partner and then slapped me and twisted my wrist only witness was my partner
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I need this information now. Infact it maybe too late
So it was self defence?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The man had an axe with a log on it . Had just assaulted my partner and appeared menacing
This could be reasonable self defence then. If that is the case you haven't committed an offence, if you accept a caution you must accept the offences. If you do not then you can't be offered a caution. The matter may then proceed to court and a judge may decide whether you are guilty of not guilty.
But you should only accept it if you committed the offence.
Can I clarify anything for you? Would you prefer a phone call?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok can I cancel the phone advice my partner is annoyed with me spending more money xx
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have been extremely worried not sleeping and touched buttons without thinking
I think you have already paid for telephone if you want it.
But do you need me to clarify anything else?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I haven't received advice on origional question. Does accepting a verbal informal warning mean that an assault come up on a disclosure?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So then the police were lying when they said that there would be no record.?
Yes. It will be records but for how long depends on the type of check. For example for enhanced there is a box for any police information and they can put it in here. There is no guarantee they won't.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you that reassured me that refusing to accept a caution was the correct thing . I think having encountered the agressive police last night I would rather trust a court.
How long do they have before they either charge you or drop the case? I am existing in fear that they will arrive at anytime
Generally 6 months,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh dear ­čś×. Can I do anything else other than wait?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this the same for the whole uk
Sadly wait yes.