How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71156
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I rent a business unit which I allowed a friend to store

This answer was rated:

Hi. I rent a business unit which I allowed a friend to store and work on a classic car. He was charged a storage charge. Due to filling it with 3 cars inside and 1 outside. Registering his company at my address without asking thus infringing my rent agreement. I told him to be out by 31st December 2015 which he agreed. Well he is still there. I gave him notice again and changed the locks. Today I find he has drilled out the lock and put his own in. I spoke to the police today and they are unsure if it is criminal damage or where I legally stand. They suggested asking a solicitor if it is criminal damage. I now have the situation of no access to a premises which I am the tenant. If I remove his property he will try for criminal action as he is that type of person. How do I stop him changing the locks agai . Any ideas would be helpful.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
You can remove his lock and replace it with yours. He can't just randomly exclude either you or the landlord. In fact, he would be liable for the cost of doing so.
If you remove his property from the lock up then that is all very well but it needs to be made available to him to collect. Otherwise there are offences in that.
In the long run there is no way to stop him changing the locks but he will soon work out there is no point if every time he does you change them again and sue him for the cost.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you