How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71130
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I'm a landlord and have just checked a new tenant into

This answer was rated:

I'm a landlord and have just checked a new tenant into a property. We have signed the paperwork but could not get the assured short hold agreement witnessed at the time it had to be signed. Is there anything I can to retrospectively? would it be possible to draw up an amendment to the agreement outlining that each party had agreed to the drawn up tenancy and its contents, then sign the amendment getting it witnessed at that point or just resign a whole new agreement?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
You don't need to get it witnessed for it to be binding. As long as you have both signed it that is perfectly fine.
The only point of a witness is to deal with a situation when a person starts saying they didn't sign a document which is rather pointless when they are living in a property as that tends to suggest they were indeed the person who signed the agreement.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. The template agreement has written on it witness name and address- it was just not possible at the time to get it witnessed that's why I asked if I can draw up a separate amendment stating that all parties agreed to the contents of the agreement and get that witnessed it would help?
You can draw up a fresh agreement and get all parties to sign it and witness it.
I wouldn't panic though. Your existing agreement is perfectly fine.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you