How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Your Own Question
Jenny, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6430
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jenny is online now

Good Morning. I am in dispute with my ex-boyfriend, he owes

This answer was rated:

Good Morning. I am in dispute with my ex-boyfriend, he owes me approx £4,500. I have receipts and invoices/bank statements for most things, others are in cash that I had lent him.
I was hoping to file an MCOL or begin small claims proceedings, but half of the receipts are in a foreign currency because we lived abroad for a while (UAE dirhams) - am I able to file receipts in a foreign currency if I take him to a uk small claims court?
Thank you
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Do you both now live in the UK?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, thank you for your quick response. He lives in the uk permanently, I also live in the uk but split my time between the uk and overseas
I do not suppose there were any written agreements regarding the transactions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a text message agreeing the approximate amount, I have been trying to get agreement on a spreadsheet detailing the total but he's being unreasonable and won't agree to anything unless we talk on the phone about our relationship first.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** not think there will be any issue with issuing the claim in the UK. As he resides in the UK and you are there some of the time it makes sense for it to be issued in the UK rather that then UAE, as you are both British citizens it also is logical to argue that the agreement is subject to UK laws.You can therefore issue with the receipts in foreign currency. If there is an argument as to jurisdiction (which I doubt there would be) you can raise the points I have mentioned above to demonstrate why the issue should be dealt with by UK courts.If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Hi Rachel is there anything further you would like to know?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jenny, sorry I was calling my mum to let her know the advice you gave me. No I think that's all for now, I guess I wanted to see if it was worth filing a claim because I would be gutted if it was thrown out on a technicality for currency
I think you should pursue it especially if you have a text message in which he acknowleges he owes you the money! I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer before leaving the site as I am not otherwise paid for answering your question. Thank you and all the best with this and do come back to me in the future if you need to .
Jenny and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Of course I'll do it right now. Thanks for your help!
Thank you!