How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 818
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

I have been living in my friends house I paid rent

Customer Question

i have been living in my friends house for 6yrs I paid rent for my own room she has died and her sister has inherited the property I have no contract what are my rights
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
If you have been there for 6 years then the best you can hope for is a rolling assured shorthold tenancy. If the correct Notice seeking possession is served then the new owner will be able to gain possession easily as of right, even if you have done nothing wrong.
You may not even have this level of security if you were a lodger rather than a tenant.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't understand a rolling assured tenancy. where will the new owners get the notice seeking possession so I know its a legal document. There are also 4 other people paying rent in the house.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
A tenancy that is not written down and where there is no specific time for it to last will be a rolling (aka periodic) tennacy. If the rent is paid monthly it will be monthly periodic tenancy.
The new owner of the property can bring it to an end with a S21 Notice seeking possession. The form for this is widely available.
4 other people? Was your friend living in the house as well or was her home somewhere else?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes my friend did live in the property she used the income from the rents to maintain the property we all shared the bathroom and toilet we only rented rooms for our private space.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
It sounds like yo might be either tenants or possibly lodgers. In either case it will not be difficult for the new owners to get possession of the property.
Assuming that they follow the tenancy route then they only need to serve a s21 notice wait 2 months and issue accelerated possession proceedings and then (assuming they don't make any silly technical errors) gain possession as of right.
I know his in probably not what you want to hear but I have to tell what is correct not what I think you may want to hear.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
in April 2014 I spent 7,000 on my room with my landlady permission as she told me I could live there as long as I wanted too k were do I stand now as the work carried out was structural and has enhanced the property I have my receipts
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am still awaiting a response to my last question
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
It does not help that you withold important information and then spring it on me after I have answered your question as asked.
What precisely did your landlady say you could do in return for carrying out the works and what were the works?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry that you feel I kept information from you. The room I was given was a bedsit without cooking facilities. The money I spent was to turn the bedsit into a studio it now has a fully fitted kitchen,all new electrical wireing, new plastered walls a built in book case newly refurbished fireplace, walls ceiling and woodwork painted. My landlady told me prior to the work being carried out that in the event of anything happening to her that the house could not be sold and I could stay for as long as I wanted to
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
This agreement is not evidenced in writing (or by witnesses?)and I very much doubt that you would be able to prove that it existed when her beneficiaries want the property.