How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35050
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My mother died back in September. Prior to this I was appointed

This answer was rated:

My mother died back in September. Prior to this I was appointed as executor to her will, which I have. I have now obtained death certificates and I wish to proceed on. There is no property involved and, as far as I can see, there is only the bank and an insurance policy to deal with. What is required of me. My mother had two accounts totalling approx. £120000 and I am already a signatory to those accounts and have been for the last 8 years. I have two brothers and she had 6 grand children. They all inherit from her wll as do I. What is the next step and any further steps that may be necessary?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
For clarity are the accounts the only assets?
How much is the Insurance Policy worth?
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The two bank accounts are the only assets + the insurance policy. She took this out in March 1948 paying 2/6 per every 4 weeks. However, she got £5 back every 5th year. The sum assured is £18. I have not yet cashed this in as I have only now obtained the death certificates.
Given the small nature of the policy and the fact that the accounts are already in your name you may be able to avoid applying for probate.
You should write to the insurance Company with a copy of the Death Certificate and ask if payment can be made without the need for Probate
If it can then you can simply send copies of the Death Certificate to the bank and the accounts will be transferred to your sole name.
You can then prepare estate account showing the monies received, the debts paid, and then distribute the money in accordance with the terms of the Will
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details