How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I was in a relationship with a man who has lived in my house

Customer Question

I was in a relationship with a man who has lived in my house for a year (I own the hose) and paid me rent. It broke down before Christmas. During a heated argument on Friday evening he physically attacked me, my daughter at the time was with her Father but is now home. I have told him I want him out ASAP to which he has agreed but I am now frightened for mine and my daughters safety. I didn't think he was capable of physically attacking me before Friday evening and so now I don't know what he is capable of within this situation.
Where do I stand legally in this situation? Can I insist he leaves immediately?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information first.How old is your daughter and did you call the police following the assault?Does this man have somewhere else to go?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My Daughter is 5. I went to the police station for advice the following morning but did' make an official statement. I would say he has options but he says he doesn't.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
The first step is to give him two weeks written notice to leave the property - so simply write and say that you wish him to leave by 31st January.
Make sure you keep a copy.
At the end of the period wait until he is out then change the locks; pack his belongings for collection - and call the police if he attempts to re-enter the property
If in the next two weeks he threatens you or your child notify the police immediately - and once he has gone change the locks - and if necessary apply to the court for a non molestation order.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details