How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My tenant has altered the electric wiring in his rented flat.

This answer was rated:

my tenant has altered the electric wiring in his rented flat. It can be photographically proved that he has done it. He called the council in and they say I have to renew it.
Has he broken the law by altering the wiring in the flat
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
I assume the tenant has breached the tenancy agreement?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how, that is a civil matter, has he illegally (criminal matter) acted on changing the electric he is not a qualified electrician?
Does the tenancy agreement say not cause damage etc ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am going to give you one more chance to answer my question on the basis that the first time is accidental, the second time is co-incidental, the third time is deliberate. I am not interested in civil law which a tenancy agreement is and would e a civil matter with me paying the bill. What I want to know is that as far as I know there are specific laws relating to the installation , maintenance and pair of electrical wiring and has my tenant by altering the wiring, even to maybe a dangerous condition, and not being an qualified electrician broken a legal law by which I can involve the Police.
It is that simple only requiring a simple "yes" or "no", with a yes answer then giving the legal reason why. If I get another question I shall assume you cannot answer and ask for my money and go and see a solicitor, something I did not want to do as I am running out of time.. Thank you..
If the tenant has caused damage then this is Criminal Damage.
This is defined as per the Criminal Damage Act 1971
1 Destroying or damaging property.
(1)A person who without lawful excuse destroys or damages any property belonging to another intending to destroy or damage any such property or being reckless as to whether any such property would be destroyed or damaged shall be guilty of an offence.
(2)A person who without lawful excuse destroys or damages any property, whether belonging to himself or another—
(a)intending to destroy or damage any property or being reckless as to whether any property would be destroyed or damaged; and
(b)intending by the destruction or damage to endanger the life of another or being reckless as to whether the life of another would be thereby endangered;
shall be guilty of an offence.
So to answer your question - yes.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No Thank you, ***** ***** the wiring by replacing it with the wrong type so I am not sure about damage or destroying. There is a specific law about who can and who cannot do electrical wiring in a rented property. If you want to reply can you email to,"***@******.***, as my daughter has now gone away for a couple of weeks.
Yes there is.
Good luck with this.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen.  Please do not forget!  Thank you.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you