How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10737
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

My property is 130 years old, and I have owned it years.

Customer Question

My property is 130 years old, and I have owned it for 47 years. I believe it is originally leasehold but I have never paid any lease and haven't a clue who the leaseholders are ( or were? ) How can I get it converted to freehold? And does it matter when selling the property?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
If you could confirm your address, I can gladly do a quick Land Registry search to see if the Freehold is registered at the Land Registry? I will then be able to provide you with a full answer.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My address is 18, Combe Road, Combe Down, Bath, BA2 5HX
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your reply.
I will do the Land Registry search for you tomorrow morning.
Kind Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks! I shall look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards,
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hi David,
Sorry for the delay.
Having checked with the Land Registry, I confirm that neither the Freehold nor the Leasehold interests in your property are registered with the Land Registry (indeed, there is quite a large section of land to the rear of your property which also is not registered).
I can not therefore confirm to you who the Freeholder is.
I would hope that you have somewhere the original Lease, and associated documents from when you purchased, which is evidence that you own the Leasehold interest.
The Leasehold Reform Act 1967 enables you, to apply to the County Court to acquire the freehold. However, you will be required to demonstrate that you have made all reasonable attempts to locate the freeholder. In some cases an enquiry agent may be useful to carry out a search and to produce a report which can be used as evidence that the freeholder is indeed missing. It is wise to seek advice from a solicitor both on investigating the freeholders absence and the application to the County Court. Your Solicitor will also be able to inspect your Deeds to make sure you are holding all the necessary paperwork.
Sorry I can't assist in naming your Freeholder- you could always ask some of the neighbours to see if they remember any Freeholder?
I hope this assists as best I can.
If so, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.
Kind Regards