How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Madam,I am resident in the UK, I moved from Hungary

Customer Question

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am resident in the UK, I moved from Hungary in 2008 with 2 children (my daughter is 17 and my son is 12 has down syndrome) . I started to work from March 2009.
I am considering applying for citizenship but I am not sure I would qualify.
My childrens` fathers both live in Hungary. I do not have "sole custody" from a court. I have got two official records (one for each child) from the Government Office of the capital city Budapest in October 2015 saying the following:
"The parental rights over the child (caregiving-education, legal representation, asset management, legal guardian appointment, exclusion from legal guardianship) will be exercised by the mother.
In substantive issues affecting the child`s future (choosing the child`s name, designation of her place of residence, determination of her schooling and career) we will continually exercise parental rights jointly."
Both fathers gave consent on the document that their children becoming British Citizen and I can proceed alone regarding this matter.
The officer also warned us that the said agreement is not of equivalent effect with a court ruling.
My questions are:
- Can I apply with these papers or do I need sole custody from court?
- Can I apply for my disabled son? (I am aware that we should apply as family, the 3 of us.)
Or in case if my son and I can not, can my daughter apply this year alone when in Nov. she becomes 18?
Thank you for your answers. I hope it was clear.
Yours faithfully,
Katalin *******
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for contacting
It was brought to our attention that you asked a legal question about Hungary, where we do not have active professionals. As much as we would like to assist you, we have to be honest and say that the best we can do is maybe to provide a legal Internet researcher who might be able to find your answer. We realize that option is not ideal, and we always want to provide our customers with the best possible answer.
At this time, we'd like to give you the option of leaving your question open. Keep in mind that you're never obliged to accept an answer that you're not satisfied with, and you can try it out before you accept. Or, we can close your question page for you, if you prefer.
Please let me know how you’d like to proceed,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Nicola,
Thank you for getting back to me.
The my question was about getting British citizenship for me and my children without having sole custody.
But anyway, please close the question page for me and refund me the money.
Thank you.
Kind regards,