How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I wanted to know if I could make a claim against my ex-husband.

Customer Question

I wanted to know if I could make a claim against my ex-husband. He left when my daughter was 18 months old and she will be 20 in February. He has paid some maintenance through the CSA but everytime they catch up with him he pays for a short while then leaves his job and gets work cash in hand. The CSA originally assessed that he should pay £58 per week but he has only paid a fraction of that and I have probably received only approx. £4000 over the past 18 years. He always fails to register himself on the electoral roll so people cant find him. The CSA then informed me that they would no longer help as my daughter is over 18, although she is still in full time education as she is in her first year at university. He is now in the process of getting a rather large inheritance from his fathers estate which he intends to live as he gave up his job in December 2014 so an attachment of earnings could not be enforced. I need to know if there is anything I can do
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will try and assist you.
Please may I ask:
- what you are in effect saying is that the father has not defaulted and therefore does not owe money - he has in effect chosen to reduce his circumstances over the years to reduce his liability - is that correct?
- in respect of his inheritance:
- do you know how much he is likely to receive and when?
- are your daughters financial needs currently being met or would she require support from the father?
Kind Regards