How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50202
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

We supplied and installed a kitchen with appliances into a

This answer was rated:

We supplied and installed a kitchen with appliances into a clients house, two of the appliances were missed off the original quote he signed for, he was informed of this and a seperate invoice was raised for the two appliances, he is now refusing to pay for the items, where do we stand as a company on this matter
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How much are the appliances worth?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
£2475.31 made up of a dishwasher £573.29 and a downdraft extractor at £1901.78
At what stage did you advise him of the error - was it after the installation was complete?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No way before completion, it was not just a straight forward job there was an extension involved.
If he was made aware of the error before the works had completed and did not dispute it, then he would be liable for the full amount, despite what the initial quote said. So you do have the right to pursue him further to try and claim what you are owed. For the amount pursued you can take this to the small claims court which is a relatively low-risk option and which you do not need legal representation to go through. This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the exact steps you need to follow to pursue this formally, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you. Whenever a dispute arises over money owed by one party to another, the debtor can be pursued through the civil courts for recovery of the debt. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps:
1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the debtor to voluntarily pay what is due.
2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the debtor must be sent a formal letter asking them to repay the debt, or at least make arrangements for its repayment, within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to recover the debt. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.
3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the debtor and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.
Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** been very helpful
You are most welcome, all the best