How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

We have been separated 28 years now and have come

Customer Question

We have been separated for about 28 years now and have come round to thinking about a divorce, could you please put me on the right path. My `wife` has lived in New Zealand and Australia for the last 15 years or so and Jersey before that
We have a good talking relationship quite regular and the two children 29 years and 31 years old are settled in New Zealand as well
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.
As long as you have been living in England or Wales then you will be able to proceed with a divorce here. You can apply under the fact of five years' separation and you would not need her consent to do this - all that is required is that she is served with the petition and either provided the acknowledgement of service form to the court (which they will send to her) or if she does not that you can satisfy the court that she has received the petition.
If you wished to effect service of the petition yourself you can request the court to send you the issued papers for direct service on her.
You can obtain the divorce petition here: and submit to Family Court at St Bury Edmunds together with a £410 court fee.
Are there also assets that you will need to settle, as the divorce proceedings itself will not provide a clean break in relation to financial matters.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. Please rate my response positively if you found it helpful - I will not be credited for answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you!