How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3843
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I am currently setting up an eCommerce website. But I don't

This answer was rated:

I am currently setting up an eCommerce website. But I don't know if I have to register it as a company or until a certain revenue is reached I am ok. I am current on Tier 4 visa and work fulltime. Should I go ahead and start selling on my website or I need (or even can as I am not a British citizen) to register it first.
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. There is no obligation on you to register it as a limited company. If you start trading it you will simply be contracting with your customers in your own name (trading as the e commerce site). The purpose of a limited company is help limit your liability for the potential risks that arises from you carrying on your business.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But don't I have to pay taxes from my sales? I thought I had to register as a company to do that?
Yes you will have to pay tax on your sales - if you do not have a company you will pay income tax - if you do have a company you will pay corporation tax on the company profits. You will also have to charge and account for VAT once you reach the threshold (currently £82k per annum) a company is very simple - you can do it online here - it can take 24 hours - you will need a registered office - and you will need an accountant at some point as you will have to file accounts if you are trading.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am paying income tax on my full time job salary, so do I have to fill out some extra form for my sales? Also can I register a company while I am working full time and/or while being on Tier 4 visa (or have to wait till I get Tier 2?)
Hi, Thank you. If you do not form a company and trade in your personal name you will have to file a tax return and pay on the profits you make. This is in addition to your salary. Your immigration status will be of no relevance to your ability to form a company in England - you should however check your employment contract to see if that prohibits you from carrying on another business while in employment.
Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Great, this really helps. Thanks a lot Alex.
No problem. I wish you the best of luck. Kind regards AJ