How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I own a ground floor flat in a leasehold property. There is

This answer was rated:

I own a ground floor flat in a leasehold property. There is one other flat above mine, owned by someone who lives elsewhere, and rents the flat out (although it is currently unoccupied). The guttering on the upstairs flat is broken, and as a result water has been running down the side of the property. This has caused considerable damage outside, and has left the wall of my second bedroom very damp. In addition, my flat was flooded in December. I have contents insurance, but I incorrectly thought I had building insurance through the leasehold. Therefore I don't have building insurance. Thankfully the damage done by the flood was only at floor level, so I can deal with that. I need to know who is responsible for the damage caused by the broken guttering.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Do you know who the freeholder is?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The freehold is owned by the builder who converted the original farmhouse into the two current flats. I can't remember their name off hand, but I have their details somewhere. Each flat currently pays £50 per year ground rent.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The freehold is held by Simtor Ltd, Warwick Mills, Carlisle.
The freeholder is responsible unless the lease states otherwise. You cant insure the building because you do not own it technically, the freeholder does. As such it must be the freeholder who is liable.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I come back to you if I have problems with the freeholder?
Good luck!
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen.  Please do not forget!  Thank you.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Ash and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you