How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

HELP! I have broken my contract as a teacher in Kuala Lumpur.

This answer was rated:

I have broken my contract as a teacher in Kuala Lumpur. My husband who was also working at the school, was having several affairs including with collegues and he left me two weeks before the christams holidays. I decided to come home for Christmas and did not return. I was in danger of committing suicide when I was there alone after the break-up. I have now recieved an email from my employer listing the costs I will need to pay including my initial location costs including 6 months short notice basic salary (my contract was due to be completed in July). They have also asked me to return for 1 - 11/2 months so they can complete tax clearance and cancel my work permit. I have returned to nothing and really cannot face returning. This is causing emense stress could please someone advise me if they can force me to return. Help please
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
For now please let me know which country your agreement is governed by please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, then you don't need to worry. If you come back to the uk it would be very hard and expensive to enforce any court orders here. So even if they took you to court in Malaysia which they would have to, the order would be difficult to enforce here.
They can't take you to court in the uk as the contract is governed by the law of Malaysia. So looks like you will be ok.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They cannot force me to return ?
What about the money they are asking for ?
Should I reply to the email ?
When would I need to seek representation and which kind of solicitor should I look for ?
No they can't force you to return. They can't get the money without a uk court order and that would be difficult because of the above. I would not reply and you don't need a solicitor.r
Does that help ?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you that has really helped and such prompt clear responses. Thank You so much I will try and get on with moving forward.
Good luck.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If you don't rate then the site does not pay me for the time I have spent answering your question.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: